Friday, July 29, 2011

CBN Anti Choice Speaker Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3adLns91_SQ

MY RESPONSE:

(Mellisa Ohden)

" I had always known ever since I can remember that not only was I adopted but that I had been born 4 months premature and that I had been very sick and very tiny. The doctors didn't have a very good prognosis for my life. And to me I didn't have alot of questions about that growing up because I guess to me it didn't matter because I was healthy I was in a great home I was loved and life was good."

My Response:

I find it hard to believe you were never curious about your birth. And why does it matter now? If you are healthy and happy why can't you just accept that and go on with your life instead of trying to profit off of your birth mother's misfortune?

(Announcer)

" She was fourteen when her older sister got pregnant out of wedlock and considered abortion."

My Response:

I always find it interesting that sexual morality is often mentioned in these videos. Seriously, out of wedlock pregnancy hasn't been stigmatized for decades. And it is absolutely pitiful that they take the difficult circumstances of family or friends and make it their own problem.

(Announcer)
" Mellisa's mother wanted to stop her daughter from having the abortion and told her daughters the shocking circumstances of Melissa's birth."

My Response:

If she wanted to stop her daughter from having an abortion, there were other ways she could have persuaded her not to. Like offering to help in any way she could. But that is common in the anti choice movement. Just get them to birth a baby and they are on their own. And to use Mellisa's birth as a way to guilt her into not aborting is deplorable. It obviously hurt Mellisa and it is a coercive way to make your point.


( Speaking about when she found out her birthmother had an abortion during her fifth month of pregnancy.)

" Mellisa, your mother had an abortion during her fifth month of pregnancy with you."

My Response:

I am curious Melissa. Do you support very early term abortion? And I have to wonder what would lead a girl to abort so late.

(Announcer)

" In 1978 Melissa's teenage birthmother walked into an abortion clinic expecting to walk out with her problem solved."

My Response:

Stop already with the minimization of these women's choices!!! They DO NOT just waltz in there expecting everything to be hunky dory when they leave. Also, in the video at this point you show a picture of a heavily pregnant women standing by a baby crib. Why would you show a baby crib? If the woman was going in for an abortion she wouldn't need a baby crib. I can only guess that the reason you included it was to reinforce the view that the woman in that scenario does not matter. She is only there to deliver a baby.

(Announcer)

" She chose a salin injection to end the life of her five month old baby."

My Response:

" Saline injections are no longer used in this country. And I absolutely love the wording here to demonize her mother. As if it wasn't already a really hard decision for her to make.

(Announcer)

"Mellisa recovered completely and lived a normal childhood until the circumstances of her birth were revealed."

My Response:

And she hasn't been able to live a normal life since. And it is because she is stuck in a state of existential crisis and is using the issue of abortion to soothe her wounded psyche.

(Mellisa)

" The biggest question was why? Why could you make that decision to end my life? Could I have been so unwanted, and so unloved by them. Even though I knew that Jesus loved me."

My Response:

Once again not even considering what the horrible circumstances were that put her mom in a position to need to have an abortion. All ME ME ME. And I knew the JESUS plug was coming. Anti choicers almost always come from a theological foundation.

(Mellisa)

"For me, it made absolute sense to look for my biological parents. I mean first of all I wanted answers and then it moved very quickly to wanting to let them know that I was ok. And I also wanted to let them know that no matter what I am still their daughter and to let them know that I also forgave them."

My Response:

I would think your mom would know from her medical records that the abortion had failed. And if you were so convinced that you were unwanted, why would you then go and try to rub it in their face that "well I am still your daughter?" Wouldn't you think you would want to back away?

(Announcer)

"Mellisa was able to locate her maternal grandparents who responded to her efforts with a letter and pictures. They decided it was best not to contact her birthmother."

My Response:

I'm not surprised that they didn't want to contact her. But this all makes a very compelling point. These people are soo adamant that adoption is the cure all to the abortion issue. Yet it often creates situations like this where children unwantingly contact birth families. I can't imagine what her birthmother thinks of all of this. How her birth daughter is exploiting her personal difficult situation for her own benefit.

(Mellisa)

" In the letter my grandfather included a couple of pictures of my mother. And when I looked at those pictures I couldn't recognize anything about myself in her. But that was a huge moment in my life too because I just remember always looking at that picture and it just hit me like a ton of bricks that 'Lord I get it. I'm not her. I wasn't supposed to be her. I'm me and I'm a wonderful gift the way you made me."

My Response:

You don't seem to get it. You are still caught up in the drama of your birth.

( Speaking about being a mother herself)

" I know that that was the Lord's plan for me also because all those years I just desperately wanted to be a mother. But I was very scared. I had to heal from alot of pain about my life. And so I didn't want to become a mother until I felt like I felt like I was whole."

My Response:

Your mother probably didn't want to become a mother either until she was whole. But according to you she didn't deserve a choice in the matter. And are any of us really whole?

(Mellisa)

" I literally used to drive past that hospital gripping the wheel of my car because it was so hurtful for me to know that is the building where I struggled for my life."

My Response:

I was stillborn due to doctor negligence. The nurses were able to revive me. I have since been back to that hospital and never once have I had the reaction she has had.


(Mellisa)

" There is no greater gift that a woman can give I believe than life to a child."

My Response:

Gifts have to be freely given. In your world there is no freedom. Only mandate.

(Mellisa)

" People can say all the time you shouldn't have lived. How could you have lived."

My Response:

IF people say that to you all the time, ( and I am skeptical as to whether they do), it is probably because you make a living off of it.

(Mellisa)

" And for me that answer is very simple. It was the Lord. He had every hand in it."

My Response:

You can't want to outlaw abortion because you think GOD planned you. That isn't a good enough reason.

(Mellisa)

" He made me the person that I am today to go forth and share his message."

My Response:

You arn't sharing his message. You are sharing your mothers. You are doing all of this for your own benefit.

What I find VERY interesting in Mellisa and other anti choice speakers such as her is their lack of concern for the welfare of their birth mothers. Mellisa says NOTHING in this video about wondering where she is or how her life turned out. Very telling and it just goes to show the way the anti choice movement views women and their roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment